Patenting Inventions in CIS Countries
Today, more and more customers are attracted to the CIS market, and therefore the issue of patenting inventions in CIS countries is becoming of great importance.
We can distinguish the following ways of obtaining patent for invention in CIS countries:
- filing Application with the Patent Office of each of the selected countries. This approach is more convenient if you are interested in one or two CIS countries;
- filing regional Application with the Eurasian Patent Organization (EAPO);
- entering Application into the national or regional phase after filing international Application according to the PCT procedure. The deadline for entering regional phase for countries covered by Eurasian patent is 31 months.
Thus, one of the approaches is to resort to the procedure for obtaining regional Eurasian patent, which will greatly simplify the whole process and help save money on the translation of the Application materials since all the documents are prepared in Russian. Unlike the European patent, no validation is required for the Eurasian patent.
Countries that ratified the Eurasian Patent Convention include Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan.
Documents which are provided by the client:
- Application materials, namely invention specification, claims, abstract.
- Drawings, if any.
- Information about priority Application or PCT application.
- Priority document in case of conventional Application.
- Power of Attorney executed according to the form provided by the Patent Attorney.
According to the procedure for obtaining Eurasian patent, the Application is to be received by the Eurasian Patent Organization within 12 months from the priority date. Upon its receipt, the Application undergoes formal examination. Should formal examination finish successfully, the Application is transferred to the qualification examination stage. If the invention meets the criteria of patentability, the Decision to grant a patent is issued.
The stages of registration of Eurasian patent for invention
The validity term of a regional patent in Eurasia is 20 years. The validity of the patent is to be maintained by the payment of the established annuities in respect of each contracting state.
Our specialists will give competent and clear answers to all your questions and provide all necessary services for the successful patenting of your invention in CIS countries. We are waiting for you!